Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Little Brother and Last Week

I know this post is coming a little late, but I had to throw this thought out there:

Did this book scare the hell out of anyone else?

I mean, I feel like some of the most plausible parts of the story are the most terrifying. I'm the sort of person who likes his privacy, and in the post 9/11 world we lost some of that. Imagine if it really did happen again. Would we lose even more? Mrs. Anderson (the replacement social studies teacher) believed that "the role of government is to secure of citizens the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In that order." That doesn't sit right with me. In fact, its just wrong. They are all equally important, because each makes the others possible. Life without liberty and happiness is no life. I loved this book, but parts of it truly freaked me right the hell out. Thoughts?

Oh, and in regards to last week, I encourage all of you to look up the documentary "Love Me, Love My Doll" on youtube or google. I brought this up last week when we were talking about "Eros, Philia, Agape," but these are people who truly love a personified, inanimate object. Very interesting stuff (or at least I think so).

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I totally agree with your remarks concerning Little Brother. I thought it was a very scary portrait of how much control the government takes from us while at the same time stating that its for our own good. If the citizens of a government want to change it, but the government refuses with this trumped up excuse of "your own security and safety," at what point is it no longer a democracy but a dictatorship?