Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The End is Nigh!

Yes, it's sad but true... the semester is coming to an end. I have to say that I'm going to really miss our weekly meetings. They've been a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to our final, Doctor Who-filled session. I'm still hard at work on my paper, as I know most of you are. For this final blog post, I decided to post one last article that I found interesting as I was just messing around on the internet. This one, inspired by the upcoming movie, "Cowboys & Aliens," makes an interesting case that Sci Fi may be this era's Western. There are a few fun points that the author makes, as well as a few things that make Sci Fi better, so it's worth a look if your interested or even just bored, as was the case with me. The link is in the title!
Finally, relating to the Walking Dead, I just wanted to add that I've been reading the graphic novels (I'm currently on the 5th collection of... 13 so far, I think), and they are pretty intense. If you like the show and haven't read them, I highly recommend them. The show has already taken quite a few liberties, and the plot is quickly becoming its own entity, but honestly, I kinda like that, because it allows me to basically enjoy two separate stories as I watch one and read the other.

2 comments:

John Harris said...

I certainly believe that sci-fi is our generations western. I mean, look at the blending between the two in things like Cowboy Beebop, Firefly, and even Star Wars. There is that frontier mindset, lawlessness, and badassery.

"Did he fire six photon torpedoes or only five?"

And I really want to read the Walking Dead. Any recommendations on the cheapest place to pick up the first couple?

Drew said...

I've actually been borrowing them from my friend, but he gets them from the comic shop on Hargrove Rd near MacFarland. He said they are discounted on... Tuesdays? I think... Hope that helps some.