Wednesday, September 29, 2010

women and science fiction

We have all noticed the recent trend in female narrators and some feminist themes in our readings. I doing a bit of research as to why this trend is taking place and I found this article (link in the title) that I thought was pretty interesting. It talks a little about feminism in science fiction and some important gender bending stories. I thought some of you might enjoy it. I found it really interesting that one of the key stories mention "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" by James Tiptree was actually written by a female, Alice Sheldon, who was writing as a male.

The article is rather long, mostly because it summarizes a story entitled "When It Changed", but I think the article overall is pretty interesting and definitely relates to our discussions of feminism in science fiction.

No comments: