Thursday, August 19, 2010

Science Fiction FTW

We all have an idea of what science fiction is. I like the idea of the "what if" factor behind the genre. Whether it is vampires, alternate history, space/time travel, etc...they always seem to ask "what if" this were reality. One aspect of science fiction I enjoy is "what is". There are many "if's" created in science fiction that are now reality such as traveling to the moon and robotics.
Less than a year ago, it occurred to me I had never read a science fiction novel. I gave this strange little book titled Dune a shot, and the next thing I knew I was finished with the series. I've read Ender's Game, Foundation, and other classics of the genre. I signed up for this class not only because of a personal interest in science fiction, but also because I have only read classic science fiction texts. This class will give me the oppurtunity to read newer science fiction texts instead of just the classics. On a side note here are some of my favorite sci fi films and series: Alien, Aliens, The Terminator, Avatar, and Battlestar Galactica.

4 comments:

Andy Duncan said...

Which Battlestar Galactica -- the 1970s version, or the 21st-century version?

Also, is vampire fiction necessarily sf? Is Bram Stoker's Dracula sf, as opposed to fantasy? How about Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, or the fine Swedish movie Let the Right One In?

Tristram said...

The 21st century version, although I have recently watched a couple of episodes from the original and enjoyed them.
I do agree with vampires being more related to fantasy. I was thinking more of a blend of fantasy and science fiction. The developement of True Blood in the Sookie Sackhouse series is just one scenerio that comes to mind.

Caleb Weeks said...

You said that you like Alien and Aliens. Do you like any of the Alien vs. Predator movies?

Tristram said...

I do like them, but I felt it would be somewhat repetitive if I mentioned them. I prefer the original Alien and Predator films to the AvP series, however they are still entertaining.