Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Formidable Inception

I couldn't help thinking as I read Stephen Baxter's "Formidable Caress," "Has Christopher Nolan read this story??" The way the time stratification between the different levels of the world in which these people lived fascinated me and of course, reminded me of the way each layer of a dream in Nolan's latest masterpiece Inception worked in a very similar way. For each level one goes deeper into a dream, time slows down considerably. The same for the Lowlands, the Platform and the Shelf in Baxter's story. Is this idea an ancient one that I had just never come across before in other literature, etc? Does anyone have other examples of this idea?

5 comments:

Katy said...

You know I think I've heard of other examples of this, but none come to mind right now. Honestly, I couldn't even get far enough into that story to realize there were differences in time.

I'm on the ceiling.

Bailey Carpenter said...

I don't know about Inception but I'll tell you that "Formidable Caress" would have held my attention and understanding much more successfully if Leo's lovely face had been in my vision of the story. Yummm

Katy is a freak.

Caleb Weeks said...

I don't have any examples of time stratification but I just have to say that Inception was the best movie I have ever seen. It may have been long but it was impossible to lose interest.

Elizabeth said...

I think Inception was one of my favorite movies that I've seen in a couple of years. It was so good! The cliffhanger ending was interesting too! (albeit frustrating).

Jordan said...

Well if Leo stopped spinning his top and switched to a loaded die, he could end the movie without a cliffhanger. ;) JGL ftw.