Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Science Fiction and Philosophy

I was playing around on stumbleupon earlier today (for those who don't know, stumbleupon feature on Firefox and Google Chrome that takes you to a random website related to your interests), and I came across this link that I would like to share with all of you (click the title).


On the first day of class we discussed what science fiction is, and the prevailing definition was that it was the story of "what if." This article, by Sean Stubblefield, brings sci-fi and philosophy together proposes an alternative: science fiction and philosophy "are the literature of problem-solving and exploration (of ideas and of self)." I rather like that idea.

The article also focuses on the power of the symbol and of storytelling in science fiction (as well as philosophy). These two forms of literature together push the boundaries of human understanding and what is possible, and perhaps, as Stubblefield suggests, the two, in one way or another, may become one someday.

There is also a link in the article to a science fiction project called "Artemis Eternal." As far as I can tell, this is a sci-fi story by the people, for the people. I'm still exploring this avenue, so I can't say too much about it yet, but I encourage you all to check it out with me.

No comments: